The Grand Tour: Travel & Collecting in the 18th Century
Three lectures given by Caroline Knight FSA
- How the Grand Tour began in the C17th.
- Who went where and how they travelled.
- Visitors to Venice & Florence: What to see and what to buy.
2. Grand Tourists in Rome:
- Study of the classical past and its sculpture.
- Buying art: Old Masters and views of Rome.
- Visits to Naples: What to see and what to buy.
- Sr William Hamilton, art collector and ambassador.
3. Artists and Architects in C18th Italy:
- Founders of the Royal Academy.
- Joshua Reynolds, Allan Ramsay, Joseph Wilton, William Chambers & Robert Adam.